FOR THE SOUP
extra-virgin olive oil
large onion, chopped
medium carrots, peeled and diced
stalk celery, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
cloves garlic, minced
low-sodium chicken broth
boneless skinless chicken thighs
boneless skinless chicken breasts
Freshly chopped parsley, for serving
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
1 1/2 c.
1 1/2 tsp.
- Make soup: In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, and thyme to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- While soup is simmering, make dumplings: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the flour and add egg, buttermilk, and melted butter and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Add shredded chicken and heavy cream to pot, then return to a simmer. Drop spoonfuls of dumpling mix into pot, cover and cook on low until dumplings are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.